Why we are not ready to transition entirely to paperless education

As all Stevenson students have received iPads as a school resource and tool for learning, they have had to adapt and possibly even reshape the way that they learn in order to be successful in a more technologically driven learning environment.

As Stevenson started the paperless route a few years ago, there was an introduction of the iPads to some students, but not to all. Now that everyone iPads, the use of technology has been intertwined into most classes’ curricula.

Dependency on Haiku, teacher websites, and AirDrop are starting to be commonly used resources for teachers and students alike. With Haiku, teachers can now go entirely paperless with their homework assignments and even post schedules for the upcoming weeks to help students gain a better sense of time management.

AirDrop and Notability have both also changed how not only teachers record their work, but how students take their notes. Many students can download their notes from the Haiku page, upload them to Notability and write on the iPads instead of the traditional way of taking notes with pen and paper.

Statesman recognizes that while, as students, it may be difficult to step out of our comfort zones from a traditional learning system, there is also a potential value to the implementation of these highly technology based lesson plans and classroom activities.

Whether it’s to prepare us for the professional world by using Google Calendar, or to expand our knowledge by having any information at our fingertips, Statesman believes that the increased freedom to develop a more personalized learning and note-taking style will help us as students succeed not only in school, but beyond high school and into the professional world.

The integration of technology offers new communication possibilities and while Statesman recognizes that it might be difficult to alter our comfort zones of learning techniques, the pressing use of technology from the administration and our teachers will only benefit us in the future.