Statesman

Academic Dishonesty Uncovered

Stevenson students caught in organized cheating effort, consequences range from LOP, suspensions to removal from extracurriculars

Olivia Lamberti and Ellie Baden

A number of students were caught in an organized cheating effort on Aug. 24. Most of the students involved appear to be seniors in honors level classes.

Because many of the academically dishonest students referred to themselves as members of “Wallace University” or the “Wallaces,” it is rumored that they drew inspiration from alumni who changed their Facebook last name to “Wallace” in 2015 and 2016 after allegedly cheating themselves.

Still, although anonymous sources confirmed the existence of a “Wallace University” at least partially inspired by alumni, the less than fifteen students currently implicated in the cheating have no proven connection to academic dishonesty in years prior. A source close to the cheaters even said that “[the current students] brought cheating to the twenty-first century.”

Some anonymous students said they were able to take photos of entire tests through the use of camera pens purchased online. Others claimed to have collaborated on final exams by creating spreadsheets of questions and answers gathered from students in previous testing periods.

However, Principal Troy Gobble said that this episode is not unique in Stevenson history. In fact, on a survey conducted in Jan. 2018 by the communication arts department with over 2100 respondents, 887 students admitted to sharing specific details about a test or quiz with their peers and 425 said they used social media in a dishonest manner.

Still, this specific cheating incident sparked speculation, including rumors that students were asked to sign non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) and that over 200 seniors faced consequences. Gobble stresses that these stories are not true.

“There’s a lot of rumors about this situation, but I don’t look at it and say it’s somehow worse than other events,” Gobble said. “Cheating is cheating.”

According to Gobble, students will face punishments in adherence with the guidebook. This may include in-school suspensions, loss of privileges (LOP) and removal from “zero tolerance” organizations like National Honor Society.

Despite these consequences, many of the offending students’ peers have reacted to the situation, whether by expressing hope that the cheaters face more extreme consequences or by posting on social media to ask the Stevenson administration for an official statement on the magnitude of the situation, which would only be partially possible under current privacy laws.

Some students, including Zuzanna Kubiszewski ’19, see the incident as justice long overdue. She views cheating as a personal affront when peers with inflated GPAs are able to compete for admission into selective universities.

“It’s a slap in the face to kids who have been academically honest,” Kubiszewski said. “It doesn’t encourage a meritocracy.”

However, some question whether only the academically dishonest students are to blame. According to the aforementioned survey, 46.4% of surveyed students cheat because they feel that they do not have enough time to complete an assignment, and 14.7% because they felt that the work was too difficult.

As Gobble indicated, this is not a new issue. On the same survey, 56.2% of students reported that cheating was a prevalent issue at Stevenson, even before the news of this incident surfaced.

“Anybody could have reported [the cheaters], but no one took the initiative,” a source close to the offending students said. “You could have stopped it. Why didn’t you?”

About the Contributors
Olivia Lamberti, Editor In Chief
Olivia Lamberti is a senior and third year staff member. When she’s not covering Stevenson news, you can find her at quizbowl practice or volunteering with the SHS Freshman Mentor Program (FMP).
Ellie Baden, Managing Editor of Print
My name is Ellie Baden and I am a senior. This is my third year on Statesman staff, and I was previously the Features Editor. I love getting to write and work with an amazing group of people. Outside of Statesman, I participate in Model UN.
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Academic Dishonesty Uncovered”

1. John Flanell on September 12th, 2018 5:48 pm

Nicely written! Thanks for bringing the light to this subject!

2. David Chen on September 12th, 2018 9:38 pm

Many thanks to you for sharing the information. Rumors are around without facts due to privacy concerns. Don’t know what to say. Are we living in a society that it’s not cheating unless caught and it’s not a scandal unless uncovered?

Please note that Statesman has the right to monitor comments and accepts comments at staff discretion.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Academic Dishonesty Uncovered

News

Putting the fun in FUNdraiser

• Academic Dishonesty Uncovered

News

Battling it Out

• News

Robots Repeat Reign

• Academic Dishonesty Uncovered

News

In the Zone

• News

Stevenson Lockdown Draws Attention to Security

• News

Main Break Causes Issues

• News

Forum encourages debate, diverse political viewpoints

• Academic Dishonesty Uncovered

News

Outward bound

• Academic Dishonesty Uncovered

News

AP prep course attendance declines

• News

Shortage of substitutes

The student news site of Adlai E. Stevenson High School.
Academic Dishonesty Uncovered