Statesman

Ready, Set, Stitch

Knitting Club meets Mondays after school in room 7064. Those with no prior experience can learn to knit, and those who have experience knitting, crocheting, or sewing can enhance their skills.

Ayla Dursun, Staff Reporter

Hands busily wound string into stitches during the first meeting of Stevenson’s new Knitting Club on Monday, August 27th.

With the start of the school year, many students are looking for new clubs to join. Knitting Club meets Mondays after school in room 7064. Those with no prior experience can learn to knit, and those who have experience knitting, crocheting, or sewing can enhance their skills.

“It’s a great place to learn something new, chill out and have a good time,” E-Board member Adam Elkins ’19 said.

Elkins joined the club when he and a group of students wanted to learn how to knit from their teacher, Mary Elizabeth Kenney. Throughout second semester last year they met unofficially, keeping records of attendance to present to student services.

Now that it is an official club, it has shifted its focus to teaching new members the basics of knitting.

“The goal is for everyone to get needles, some yarn, and learn some of the main stitches,” Kenney said.

New members start by sharpening their own needles and learning the basic knit stitch, while those with experience are welcome to work on more advanced projects. They can also work on projects for service opportunities that will be held later in the year.

“I’m passionate about knitting being very healthy for us and a great way to have fun,” Kenney said.

About the Contributor