Class sizes on the rise

Stevenson sees a steady increase in enrollment since 2014 school year

Jim Conrey // Source

Yogin Patel

Jim Conrey // Source

Although Stevenson has always been a big school, the addition of the larger-than-average class of 2020 has set a trend for increased enrollment rates.

In the last 20 years, there was a peak at 4,573 students in 2005-2006 school year. Until the 2014-2015 school year there was a decreasing number of students in the school, but the number of students has increased since then.

One of the major reasons for the increased enrollment is that there are new homes are available in the district. Stevenson, with its high ranking programs, is enticing for families that are moving to the area. According to Terry Moons, secretary of the board of education, the Stevenson community becomes a nice place to settle down.

“There’s a place for everyone at this school with a wide variety of choices,” Moons said. “People seek Stevenson out.”

Moons believes that because of the diversity of the student body, there are niches for everyone and people always feel welcomed. Many students share this sentiment.

“I know a few people that are really nice, and I’m guessing most people at Stevenson are really nice too,” Sanya Verma ’18 said.

This increase in the number of students has led to many changes in the school itself. The construction of the Quiet Learning Center (QLC) has decreased the overcrowdedness that would have been felt by the students if they only had the Information and Learning Center or East Learning Center.

The changes that came with the addition of the QLC were felt last year, but the center of attention this year has been shifted to the new wood commons and food court. According to Moons, more lines and places to order food will decrease the burden for the future students.

Not only has the increased number of students affected the architecture of the school itself, it has also changed the nature of some of the classes.

“We received more sections to our classes so that we could keep it to the smaller class size, which has been wonderful,” business teacher Jacqueline King said.

As the class sizes increase, the problems associated with a growing student body do not increase as well. King points out that even though some classrooms may be too small, many can still accommodate more students in their classes. The only drawback being that they may not be able to get fast feedback from teachers.

“It’s an unusual school,” Moons said. “But there’s a place for everyone in this school. You have to want make a place for yourself too, and you have to reach out and find like minded students but they’re there. And we’re big enough for that.”