Statesman

Patriots lose season opener 28-20 to Palatine

Although+the+Patriots+lost+their+first+game%2C+they+look+to+have+a+bright+season+ahead+of+them.+
Although the Patriots lost their first game, they look to have a bright season ahead of them.

Michael Levitt, Staff Reporter

Stevenson started the season off on a rough note Friday, losing 28-20 to Palatine. The Patriots did well in the first half, leading 20-14 at halftime, but blew the lead in the third quarter, giving up back-to-back touchdowns.

Aidan O’Connell ’17 led the Patriots down inside Palatine’s 20-yard line three times after that but could not score, turning the ball over with a pick to end the half. The next time Stevenson came knocking on the door, a costly fumble again stopped their momentum. And with just seconds left in the game, four yards away, O’Connell missed a throw in the back corner of the endzone, simultaneously turning it over on downs and turning over the game to Palatine.

There are, however, signs of good things to come offensively, with O’Connell throwing for over 300 yards and Anthony Sibo ’17 rushing for 139 yards––including three rushes of 20 or more yards. Unfortunately, Sibo was injured towards the end of the game and was unable to return in the closing minutes. His missing presence on the last drive surely played a crucial part in Coach McNamara’s decision to throw the ball on the last two offensive plays for Stevenson.

That said, this game could have been the toughest of the season for the Patriots. They surely kept themselves in the game and had a shot to win it. Although Stevenson lost, there were still good things to come out of this game.

Stevenson’s morale should be up after Friday’s game, as they held their own with a tough team. Furthermore, the Patriots’ defense was making tackles almost the whole game, and stopped the long runs, with the exception of a 90-yard touchdown run by Josh Turner in the third quarter.